Alidade MER provides investigative, or forensic, engineering services. We have done engineering analysis and investigations on diverse issues; examples include:
- Caloosahatchee River, Ortona Locks and Spillway Manatee Deaths. Investigative engineering Root Cause Analysis of the water management facility on the causes of several manatee deaths in a fourteen day period. The analysis indicated many causes including management (budget, policies, procedures and training), physical asset (damaged debris screens, insufficient number of personnel and damaged screen lifting device) and human (lax leadership in preventive actions, inattentive oversight, improper screen lifting procedures).
- Government Vessel Oily Water Discharge at Sea. The engineering crew aboard a government vessel discharged bilge water that contained prohibited levels of oil while at sea. A Root Cause Analysis was performed and found several root causes. Management root causes included insufficient logistics planning, ambiguous and conflicting policies and maintenance procedures that specified incorrect detergents. Physical root causes included system installation errors. Human root causes included lax leadership oversight, disregard for policies and laws.
Using Root Cause Analysis (RCA), and similar scientific methodologies, Alidade MER investigates and analyzes potential causes. There are always multiple reasons for events to have taken place. We always look for latent, or management, related roots as well as physical and human roots. The goal is to confirm, eliminate or assign probability to undeterminable causes.
We can train client personnel so they are confident and capable to carry out RCA without continued consulting support. We also provide services for dispute resolution or insurance adjustments.
Alidade MER supports a wide range of discrete improvement projects by direct services, or through training workshops and on-site facilitation and coaching. The most common reliability projects include:
- Hierarchy, Criticality and Configuration Management
- Preventive Maintenance Optimization (PMO)
- Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM)
- Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA) for processes, systems or equipment
- Reliability Modeling for New or Modified Capital Projects
- Root Cause Analysis (RCA)
- Lean tools
Once a solution is determined from the analysis, a determination is made to authorize or not authorize the solution. If authorized the improvement must be formally implemented. Implementation is detailed development of the guidance (policies, plans, processes, procedures and measures), obtaining assets (type, quantity and quality), training and commissioning the changes. Senior leaders retain accountability until the change becomes a common practice. Subordinate leaders and team members are accountable to execute after common practice is achieved.